When talking to your insurance broker the best advice is:  use the terminology your broker will understand so you can plug into the existing coverages.

Since there is no category called Tiny Homes when it comes to insurance in Nova Scotia it is best to talk the language of your broker.   By calling it a tiny home they may not know what to do with it.


HOW to tell the difference?

  1. OUTBUILDING on your home property:  If it qualifies as an outbuilding (not on a trailer) on your home property and you use it for guests, for an office or if you are getting ready to transition to a full time tiny home then most home policies will automatically extend coverage to your Tiny home.   Best to inquire about limits and if it’s a project under construction you may need a construction rider during the time you are building.   If it is on a trailer – see #3.
  2. COTTAGE:  If your tiny home is set up in a permanent location (foundation, blocks, sono tubes etc) away from your personal residence and you still maintain a principal residence then your Tiny Home is a seasonal residence or cottage.
  3. TRAVEL TRAILER/RV:  If your Tiny Home is on wheels then you would be looking for travel trailer or RV insurance which can be done either through your home or auto insurance.
  4. HOME:  If your Tiny Home is your principal residence and not on wheels then you will need a home policy.   Based on your foundation, source of heat and other details will determine which company will be best suited to you.  A few companies are more open to these risks.

Colin Touchie is a full time Independent Insurance Broker helping people and businesses find insurance solutions for their Auto, Life, Business and Home insurance throughout Nova Scotia.   He lived in a 200sf tiny home for 6 years and looks forward to building another one on wheels in the near future.

He can be reached at 902 818-7653,   colin@hatterinsurance.ca   www.abetterbroker.ca